Our energy consumption is tied mainly to the use of heating and air conditioning systems, the functioning of the data centre and the server rooms and the office lighting systems.
We are committed to improving our energy performance through constant monitoring of consumption, which enables us to implement initiatives targeted at energy savings, thanks to the use of lower impact innovative technologies and solutions, and enhancing the supply of electricity from renewable sources.
The main energy efficiency initiatives
- Installation of LED lights during the renovation of the group’s offices and construction of new Compass and CheBanca! branches.
- Installation of high-efficiency heat pumps
- Equipment (photocopiers, pcs) with power saving setting after a set period of inactivity
- Refresh of network devices, in order to obtain an estimated saving of around 15% compared to the previous year, thanks to Cisco’s Energy Wise technology which adapts consumption to the requirements
- Extension of the supply of renewable energy to the group’s foreign offices
|DIRECT ENERGY CONSUMPTION|
|Direct energy consumption||GJ||58,061.53||59,882.74||40,442.27|
|From non-renewable sources||23,602.82||25,111.42||26,441.02|
|Da utenze non intestate||13,679.90||n.a.||n.a.|
|Da utenze intestate||9,922.92||n.a.||n.a.|
|From company cars||34,458.71||34,771.32||14,001.24|
|INDIRECT ENERGY CONSUMPTION|
|Indirect energy consumption||GJ||88,435.55||87,331.90||80,505.95|
|From non-renewable sources||1,917.39||9,586.10||9,188.60|
|From renewable sources||85,318.98||76,813.28||69,363.76|
|From non-renewable sources||219.88||932.52||28.93|
|From renewable sources||979.28||0||1,924.65|
Our carbon footprint comes from the emissions deriving primarily from the energy used for office heating and air conditioning and employee work journeys.
Our commitment to reducing CO2 emissions is based on two main areas: monitoring and reduction of our consumption and the search for sustainable mobility solutions.
In Italy, we currently use electricity from certified renewable sources, hence avoiding emissions of 6,613.22 tonnes of CO2.
The main CO2 emissions reduction initiatives
- Promotion of the use of video-conferences to reduce employee travel
- Increase in use of e-learning training courses
- Reduction in use of individual private vehicles thanks to:
- the corporate mini-bus service (Milan Compass office)
- the MIS mini-bus service on request (Mediobanca MISposto)
- the agreement with ATM for employee subscriptions
- Use of the fleet of cars based on environmental criteria (vehicles with reduced CO2 emission engines, diesel with latest generation DPF and alternative fuels, Euro 5 and Euro 6 emissions standards, plug-in hybrid cars) and installation of two recharging stations for electric and plug-in hybrid cars (Mediobanca Innovation services site)
- Use of green technologies to improve building environmental performances and voluntary certification according to the most widely used international protocols in Europe. As of today, Buckingham Gate in London has a BREEAM Excellent certification and OpernTurm in Frankfurt a LEED Gold certification
- Implementation of projects that aim to offset the impacts of CO2 through the planting of trees:
- Che Banca! and Compass have collaborated with the Rete Clima association to offset the impacts connected with the publication of the respective company magazines (109C Magazine and Incontro Magazine)
- Mediobanca Innovation Services has used refurbished electronic devices wherever possible, helping to plant 1,250 trees in 2020, equal to a saving of 11,687.5 kg of CO2.
|DIRECT AND INDIRECT EMISSIONS|
|Direct emissions (Scope 1)||Tonnes of CO2e||3,928.80||4,051.82||2,568.41|
|From non-renewable sources (natural gas, diesel oil)||1,368.05||1,463.82||1,528.12|
|From company cars (petrol and diesel)||2,560.76||2,588||1,040.29|
|Indirect emissions (Scope 2) - market-based||162.89||891.75||851.22|
|From electricity and thermal energy||162.89||891.75||851.22|
|Indirect emissions (Scope 2) - location-based||7,527.66||7,500.99||ND|
|From electricity and thermal energy||7,527.66||7,500.99||ND|
|Indirect emissions from company mobility (Scope 3)||1,527.12||2,753.96||3,004.94|
|From third-party service vehicles||19.38||28.43||18.98|
|Intensità energetica diretta||Kwh/m||95.65||95.65||74.83|
|Intensità energetica indiretta||145.68||150.28||145.34|
|INTENSITA' DELLE EMISSIONI|
|Intensità delle emissioni (Scopo 1)||tCO 2/m2||0.0235||0.0249||0.0171|
|Intensità delle emissioni (Scopo 2)||0.0009||0.0057||0.0228|
L’incremento nella fornitura di energia elettrica da fonti rinnovabili ha comportato un beneficio nelle emissioni di Scopo 2 market-based, che risultano in diminuzione. Il Gruppo registra una significativa riduzione delle emissioni Scopo 3 dovuta al lockdown seguito alla pandemia Covid-19. La riduzione principale, infatti, riguarda i voli aerei.
Il Gruppo ha registrato inoltre le seguenti emissioni di gas nocivi per l’ozono: 40 Kg di ODS (di cui 28 kg di R-410A)52, 786 Kg di NOX e 27 Kg di SO253. Le emissioni di NOx e SO2 risultano in diminuzione rispetto al precedente esercizio, in seguito alla riduzione nei consumi di elettricità da fonti non rinnovabili.