Corporate & Investment Banking
Our international strategy features:
- synergies between sectors, products and countries, with branches and offices in Paris, New York, Madrid and London;
- leadership in the Southern European investment banking sector, which we have achieved by developing the Madrid branch (we are one of Spain’s top ten M&A players) and through our partnership with Messier, Maris & Associés, which has significantly improved our position in France (see the box below);
- a growing footprint in the EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) investment banking market;
- a lean structure (160 professionals, equal to 40% of all wholesale banking personnel) with a contained cost/revenue ratio;
- a hub in London for international investment banking customers and operations.
The partnership with the French boutique Messier, Maris et Associés expands our European footprint
In April 2019, we announced a long-term strategic partnership with Messier, Maris & Associés (MMA), acquiring a 66% stake in the firm. Established in late 2010 by Jean-Marie Messier and Erik Maris, MMA is now one of France’s top three corporate finance boutiques, with an extensive base of loyal clients in France and abroad. With some 40 professionals, MMA specialises in M&A advisory services for medium and large companies and deals with financial sponsors.
With this acquisition, our Group gains a prestigious presence in a country that was already a key market for the CIB division given the importance of French transactions with Italy. Moreover, the partnership between MMA and our subsidiary Compagnie Monégasque de Banque is strategically important in strengthening the synergies between CIB and private banking.
France is now our third core market after Spain and Italy.
Our Wealth Management division mainly focuses on affluent and private banking customers in Italy, although it has a stable presence in the Principality of Monaco through the subsidiary CMB. However, we have acquired specialized asset management boutiques abroad (Cairn in London and RAM in Geneva) and we continue to consider specific transactions irrespective of their geographical location, as long as they are consistent with the growth strategy for Mediobanca Group’s alternative segment.