We have three prestigious palazzi in Italy. Milan, where Mediobanca was founded in 1946, is home to our historical headquarters, in Piazzetta Cuccia, and the “Vincenzo Maranghi” Mediobanca Group historical archive. We also have an office in Rome on Piazza di Spagna, Rome, a palazzo known until the early 1900s as the “Hôtel de Londres”.
Palazzo Visconti-Ajmi has been Mediobanca’s headquarters since it was founded on 10 April 1946. The building dates back to 1589-1599, when Giuseppe Archinto acquired the land to build a stately family residence. The palazzo changed hands over the years, passing first to the Riva family, then to the Visconti family, followed by the Visconti Ajmi family and, finally, to the Turati family, undergoing renovation, expansion and restoration many times. The last of these projects was in the late 1800s by Fausto Bagatti-Valsecchi, who restored the building in the neo-Renaissance style.
In 2000, the small square in front of the palazzo was named in honour of Enrico Cuccia, Mediobanca’s founder and general manager, further entwining the building’s history with that of our Group.
To learn more about Palazzo Visconti-Ajmi, visit the historical archive.
Our archive is located in the Palazzo del Teatro dei Filodrammatici, which was completed in 1800 within the deconsecrated 14th-century church of San Damiano alla Scala. Mediobanca rebuilt the palazzo in 1970 when the bank moved some of its offices there.
To learn more about Palazzo del Teatro dei Filodrammatici, visit the historical archive.
This building, which Mediobanca purchased in 1995 from Banca Commerciale Italiana, had already been our headquarters in Rome since 1954. Previously known as the “Hôtel de Londres”, which Alexandre Dumas mentions in “The Count of Montecristo”, this building’s origins go back much farther: the remains of a Roman domus were found beneath the courtyard.
To learn more about Mediobanca’s building in Piazza di Spagna, visit the historical archive.